Parent Catalyst Leadership Group
PCLG Parent Support Group – Join us!
- Thursday, March 12th, 6:30 pm
- Sabes JCC, 4330 Cedar Lake Road
This parent-led support group offers a safe place where you can share the ups and downs of parenting a child with mental health concerns.
You can also join our private support group on Facebook:
- Hennepin County PCLG Support Group.
- Parents with shared lived experiences
CANCELLED! PCLG Coffee & Conversation–
Meet with PCLG Parents at our Coffee and Conversation
Join Parent Catalyst Leadership Group (PCLG) for conversation about raising kids with mental health struggles and navigating the children’s mental health system.
Bring your questions about schools, providers, crisis plans, parenting, or accessing services. Learn about the opportunities for advocacy, connections, and training available to parents.
- WHEN: March 21, 2020 10am – 12pm
- WHERE: Southdale Library, Helen Young Room, 7001 York Ave S, Edina
FREE, but we ask you to RSVP here.
- PACER DAY AT THE CAPITOL
- Thursday, March 5, 2020 8:30 AM – 4:00 PM
- Parents of children with disabilities have important stories to share that can advance system change and improve outcomes for students. Participants will learn about issues, followed by the opportunity to meet individually with your legislators. Assistance will be available so you feel prepared to tell your story in an effective way.
- NAMI MENTAL HEALTH DAY ON THE HILL
- Thursday, March 12, 2020 9:30 AM – 12:00PM
- Mental health advocates and friends will gather at Christ Lutheran Church on Capitol Hill, 105 University Ave in St. Paul at 9:30am. Anyone interested in mental health issues is encouraged to attend; no registration is needed. A Mental Health Rally will be held at the State Capitol Rotunda from 11:00-Noon. Visits are being scheduled with Legislators for after the Rally. The event is sponsored by the Mental Health Legislative Network, a coalition of nearly 40 organizations working to improve mental health services in Minnesota.
- PACER Early Childhood Family Leadership Summit
- Saturday, March 28, 2020 — 8:30 AM – 3:30 PM
- This free training provides the opportunity for parents to learn about how to influence public policy, improve personal advocacy skills, and enhance leadership skills.
CLASSES & WORKSHOPS
SPARC – Schools, Parents, and Resources Connecting —Medications 101: How They Work and When to Consult
Matt Meyers from Traverse Counseling be the presenter. You do not need to live in District 622 in order to attend.
- North St. Paul, Mon, Mar 2, 6:30-8:00pm
- District Education Center (DEC), 2520 E. 12th Ave
NAMI: Suicide Prevention – Question, Persuade, Refer (QPR)
Learn the three steps anyone can take to help prevent suicide. Just like CPR, QPR is an emergency response to someone in crisis and can save lives. This is a one-hour class for members of the community over the age of 16 who want to learn best practices in suicide prevention.
- St. Paul, NAMI Minnesota, 1919 University Ave W, Suite 400
- Sun – Mar 8, 9:30-10:30am
- Wed – Mar 11, 12:00-1:00pm
OASIS: Eating Disorders – An Overview
Andrea Hutchinson from CARE Counseling will present at this Osseo Area Source of Support which is open to all caregivers, parents, and staff. (April topic will be “The Big Three: Anxiety, Depression, and ADHD.)
- Maple Grove, Mar 10, Tues, 6:00-8:00pm
- Maple Grove Senior High School, 9800 Fernbrook Lane
NAMI Special Education Webinar
In this 2-hour webinar, parents and caregivers will learn the basics of the special education process (evaluation, Individualized Education Plans, students’ rights). Attendees will understand the laws and rules that impact children with a mental illness or in the Emotional or Behavioral Disability (EBD) category such as 504 Plans, the use of seclusion and restraints, and discipline policies. Register here.
Mar 10, Tues, 6:00-8:00pm
PACER: Advocating for My Child & Family
Parents of infants and toddlers will learn how to use the IFSP process to discuss the concerns and priorities for their child. We will discuss writing child and family outcomes. Please bring a copy of your IFSP if you have one. (Live streaming available)
- Bloomington, March 9, Mon, 6:30-8:30pm
PACER Center, 8161 Normandale Blvd
PACER: Your Child’s Transition from Early Childhood
Kindergarten is a big step in any child’s life. Parents of young children with disabilities will receive information to plan for this transition and learn strategies to help their child be successful. (Live streaming available)
- Bloomington, March 12, Thurs, 6:30-8:30pm
- PACER Center, 8161 Normandale Blvd
NAMI: Hope for Recovery
Obtain information about mental illnesses, treatments, coping strategies, communications skills, crisis management, suicide prevention and ways to help a loved one and improve communication, the mental
health system and local resources. This is a 6-hour class for family and friends of a teen or adult living with a mental illness. Lunch is not provided.
- St. Paul, Saturday, March 14, 9:00am-3:00pm Register here
- NAMI Minnesota, 1919 University Avenue West, Suite 400
PACER: Housing – What are the Options? Starting the Journey (Part 3)
Part 3 of this workshop seres offers a more detailed explanation of individualized housing and service options will be provided by a panel of parents, young adults, and housing providers as they share their journeys through the process.
- Bloomington, March 13, Mon 6:30-9:00pm
- PACER Center, 8161 Normandale Blvd
Parenting with a Purpose: Technology
The St. Louis Park Family Services Collaborative partners with PrairieCare to provide monthly group meetings on different mental health topics, along with resource sharing and support. This month’s topic is,“Help! Technology is Taking Control!”
- St. Louis Park, March 19th, Thurs, 6:30-8:00pm
- Lenox Community Center, 6715 Minnetonka Blvd.
Hennepin County Consumer Information Sessions January-April 2020 Schedule
Want to learn about Family Support Grants, Financial and Medical Programs for Children, Consumer Support Grants, Guardianship, Transition Services or more? Check out this booklet from Hennepin County.